Third Floor Design
The project at Formal House has taken 3 months from concept to completion; we have worked very closely with Third Floor Designs owner James Cowdale. Our design brief was to create an industrial and quirky style to accommodate a production team and host client meetings and presentations – this was to be their creative platform to build and pitch their ideas. The space needed to be practical yet visually pleasing, some of the practical requirements included such things as the right layout and desk top finishes so light did not reflect on to computer screens and having plenty of storage to house items out of view but some design books and client products on display. This project gave us the luxury of purchasing everything we needed so everything matched our industrial style. Up cycling and keeping the history of the building was also very important, established in 1886 and revived in 2015 these touches show the respect of the transformation of the building.
Some of the purchases and up cycling were:
- Charles Eames soft padded office chairs gives comfort but the uniformity looks stylish.
- Over sized salvage lighting was shipped from Europe and restored to hang over the client meeting table.
- Wall lights were commissioned to sit on exposed conduit.
- Metal frames were designed to hold smooth, matt pod work surfaces that easily seat 4; these pods were edged in a bright pop of yellow.
- OSB storage is practical, doubles up as a sitting area and works within the industrial style.
- Original slates from Pockets Snooker Club have been up cycled and made into a hot desk/bar area.
- We commissioned local sign writers to hand paint ‘Depository No 3’ which was one of the original names for the building – black, white and yellow paints have been used. Watching this traditional sign writing method was a delight and looks amazing!
We use local trades where ever possible and this project has been no exception. Building reliable contacts and suppliers is very important to Shadowplay Design. This has been a fun project to work on and we are proud to have it in our portfolio. James is happy in his new home, he say “it’s already made a huge impact on the team, they are definitely happier here – it just feels more like us”!